Monday, June 22, 2015

Goodwill: Leesburg, FL (6.22.15)

I've always loved thrifting, but in California I was often beaten to the goodies by more experienced thrifters. Here in Florida I began shopping in thrift stores after losing a great deal of weight. I'm also on a budget and flat out refuse to pay full price for "work clothes." I have a very particular sense of fashion and I hate the idea of spending much on clothes that I'm only wearing because I have to. 

Floridian thrift stores have some amazing vintage clothes. Word has it that it's very difficult to nab a vintage piece in a Californian thrift store. Hopefully my eye for fashion will pay off. (I'm hoping to take my fashion finds to market). However, in the meantime, I know I'll see some incredible tchotchkes. I'll post them here. 

Today I went to my local Goodwill. I have had some good luck in this store. Here's some of the stuff I found: 

I was tempted to grab this guy to keep business funds. This pig is truly stylish. 

Although perhaps not as stylish as these sassy swine. I had to wonder, are these the only two, or is there a whole Village People collection of porcine porcelain...pigurines... I'm sorry...

Speaking of style, I found these beauties: 

I would have purchased them for resale, but at size 6, I'd worry I wouldn't find a buyer with such petite tootsies. Still, they're amazing. If they were a size 10 I would have grabbed them and held on for dear life! 

Aaaaand speaking of figurines, cat figurines are ALWAYS gold. 

"I gotz mah stripes, for I iz tiger." 

Or this guy...

I want to say he looks like some Jim Henson creation, but I'm drawing a blank. Thoughts? Aside from the obvious sadness. 

Teapots can always be found in abundance at thrift stores, which is perfect for me because I'm obsessed with tea and England. 

Here I thought I had found a legit Brown Betty. Unfortunately the bottom had no marks indicating that it was made in England. Plus, it felt quite a bit lighter, less formidable, than the real deal. Still, at $3.99 I was very tempted to invest. I bet she still makes a decent cuppa. Perhaps she's Black Betty...bam-ba-lam. (http://youtu.be/ZbjyuDYtAtk Educate yourselves). 

Twinsies...only not...like my ex boyfriend and his twin. You might mistake one for t'other, but not I. However, unlike my ex, I wouldn't know which pot to go with here. 

This saccharine number is the perfect segue into a certain "sweet style" that can often be pieced together in your local thrift store. I find my mind wandering to a fictitious apartment. I live there with my dog. It's small, but cozy. The decor has been pieced together at thrift stores and garage sales. All of my home goods are perfectly, adorably, mismatched. 

My god, tea becomes a woolen, toe curling affair with this mug. 

If you visit, I'll hand wash this one for you. 

Soup's on, but I'm gluten-free so you'll just have to deal with my homemade batches of Italian inspired stew. 

If I make us French onion soup, these are the tools.

Leftovers go in these.

Perhaps I've made lemonade, these will do nicely.

If you stay the night, I'll serve us orange juice in these with breakfast.

I love blue and while ceramic pieces. I don't even know what the thing on the right IS and I still want it.

Tinted glassware is always good. I'd like a veritable rainbow in my collection.

Other items that struck me weren't so cute, but would certainly give you something to talk about when entertaining guests...

If I were just visiting I probably would have taken this for a souvenir.

I have a thing for bears, you'll most likely see many more. I have a small collection myself. I also love stoneware of this ilk. 

"Oh yeah, there's a mug for that."

This mini-mug from New York is still hanging around. I love it so. 

I love the flower mugs in the back, but this rabbit is practicing some self love in the name of Jesus Christ. Also, is he pooping?

This beer glass surprised me. This motif is all over the damn place currently, some hipster clearly overlooked his opportunity to drink IPAs out of a trendy ass glass.

This lamp would be perfect for when I open my whorehouse. 

Finally we have my favorite piece; my crowning jewel in today's WTF crown:

I believe that this can only be described as a tennis frame, God knows how useful this must have been and continues to be. It has it's original price tag and one of the best 80s photo frame placeholders I've ever seen. Well done tennis frame, you are the first Thrifting WTF. 

No comments: