Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Introduction

For a while now I have been saying that I want to make an art blog. So many talented people are inspiring me with their work and I would like to share my work as well. Part of this comes from the idea that I need feedback, but beyond that I need to learn how to take criticism. Here's my deal, I have a real tough time showing my work withanyone. I am a perfectionist and am fairly OCD about the creation of my art. Even showing a doodle to my boyfriend is a terrifying experience. Just the other night I did a redo project for a class and had a nervous break-down in which I became Rain Man; sitting on the toilet, rocking back and forth repeating a psychotic's mantra, "It has to be perfect, it's not going to be perfect, it has to be perfect..." and so on... To clarify, it actually did have to be perfect for this teacher, but that's a different story. In general I just need to learn how to be "ok" with my work and so this is part of many exercises I'm putting myself through in hopes of relieving some of the stress involved with my work.

I suppose you may be interested in my back story. Here's the extremely abridged version: born into this world wanting to be an artist I am living my dream as a 23 year old art student. (This, of course, does not come without a hefty set of loans I will be repaying for the rest of my sad little life). I study Animation at the Savannah College of Art & Design in Savannah, GA and am an off and on Film & TV minor with a serious interest in writing... I'm training to be a "story teller." I have also attended the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, CA. There I got a really strong foundation that focused more on the figure than SCAD's lean toward "design aesthetics." I also was able to get my hands into experimental animation as opposed to more commercial animation which, again, is what SCAD is known for. Now, that may have you asking, "Then why are you at SCAD?" This, in part, is due to the fact that AAU is too close to home and that SCAD has access to all of the industry standard software and equipment; so I get the "arty" from AAU and the "technical" from SCAD. Then, once I have that nailed down and get my silly degree I want to do Grad work at Cal Arts where I can get my MFA in experimental animation, win an Oscar (student or otherwise) and move onto a magical career in animation. Having my own studio would be nice as well but we'll keep my dreams to a dull roar for now.

So there you have it, my life in a nut shell. I may include more later, but the long and short of it is that I have my hands in everything creative and have since I was a little girl. Even if I don't finish a project I am always fiddling with something; one day it's painting another day it's sculpture, which explains why I like animation so much. Animation can and does involve every kind of art there is. Stop Motion animation can be captured with photography, there's film and editing involved (ah editing, how I love thee), sculpture, painting, drawing, it's all there, but then the magic happens and it moves! I don't know, there's no end to my fascination and excitement involving animation. I'll never forget my first animation, seeing that bouncing ball lazily bop across the screen was an amazing moment for me. I can't wait for my degrees but really can't wait to see my name in the credits of something exciting. *sigh*

And with that, I shall go so I can scan all that needs to be posted here.

Happy Creating,
Carmen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dave.hey carr hi its mers dad dave. how r u? you sure have gotten so grown up and r such a good artist/ im really impressed by your work. it seems the schooling has really paid off. i still think you and mere should werite acartoon strip aimed at young people dealing with the extablishment. and another one called bad language girl. keep up to great work and your pencil sharpe.

Karly West said...

Hey, I linked to your blog from your forum post on Etsy. Ha, I don't have much critism for you (I really do love your work, especially the 3d stuff!). I do relate to your motivation in starting an art blog. I started one a year ago, and I am just now feeling comfortable with it (I lack the formal training you have, but have been trying to get better on my own!). Anyway, I can relate to the anxious feeling at least. Good Luck with your blog, you have a great collection of work to show!

Miss Carmen said...

Thank you both for the comments. Though I've had my fair share of set backs I'm just taking them all in stride, seeing them as learning experience and trying to open up with my work.

Barbara said...

Dude you promised us the figure of Divine. The macquette please. I have been waiting to see it.