Friday, October 17, 2008

African Inspired Character Concept

Here's the concept doodle I was talking about for an African inspired Stop Motion animation I would like to make. (Stemming from that doodle that everyone likes and one person wants to have made into a tattoo). 

Here is the original.

And here is a version with a Photoshop filter. (Don't ask why, I honestly don't know...I assume it'll make sense later to me.)

My next post will be of a drawing that has gotten a lot of attention even though I rarely show it, it's in a sketchbook with other images bleeding through it and...well...the list goes on. It needs to be photographed because it's too big to fit in my scanner and that means lighting it, etc. So, I'll make sure to get that done ASAP, but for now I'm glad all of my back archiving is done and you can look forward to more posts in the future. 

And please, leave comments!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

This work reminds me of my studies at college at UC in Sta. Barbara, CA in the Black Studies/African Area Studies Dept. The figures are gaunt and haunting. Reminds one of the starvation native peoples face in Africa today. The stylized drawings are unique and I can visualize as a tatoo.

Anonymous said...

It's funny you say that because I cannot tell you how many people have said how haunting these are in person. I really wanted to pull that. I also love depicting the figure with exaggerated proportions and simple planes where the forms curve off into new anatomy.

I didn't really set out to draw Africans specifically when I began drawing these, but they seem very African. Since drawing them I have done some research involving African masks and sculpture.

We'll see what happens I suppose.